dimanche, août 5

Scar tissue

Things are still quite a bit surreal for me. I used that bridge all the time. In fact, I was on the bridge the morning it collapsed (although not at the time of the collapse which was at night). It was a major artery for the city…and it’s gone. (So weird to be without it.) Not to mention the fact that many people died tragically and probably had no idea that day was to be their last. If anything good can be said about this tragedy it would have to be the fact that the number of victims seems to be quite low for what it could have been. I was proud of my city when I learned that many bystanders rushed to the scene right after the fall and helped in any way they could. This feels so Minnesotan to me. We’re always ready and willing to lend a hand. These people didn’t think twice about running over to help. That said, however, I still feel deeply saddened and affected by what has happened, we all have. Right now we’re in need of some form of comfort in the form of answers as to why it happened and assurance that it won't happen again. I want to say we're moving into a state of healing, but it feels too soon. Right now we're all still too shocked to even begin thinking about the world after the bridge fell.

1 commentaire:

Ksam a dit…

I know, it's crazy, isn't it? It felt so strange to wake up and see pictures of Minneapolis all over the French news, especially since the majority of French people have never heard of it. Everytime I would say where I moved from, they'd say "Oh, is that where that big car race is?"

And I too was proud to see how everyone pitched in - I miss Minnesota Nice more than anything, and it's something the French will never understand - why you would risk your life or waste your time on a stranger? They'd do anything for friends or family, but wouldn't think twice about walking past a stranger getting mugged or a pregant woman with a flat tire.